Away from the open glare of public social media feeds, down in the dm is where the interesting stuff happens.
So, What Does DM Mean?
DM is an abbreviation that stands for Direct Message.
A dm is used on social media such as Instagram and Twitter, and on messaging apps such as Snapchat. The dm functions on these media allow you to send a private message to a person or a group conversation (often called a dm room).
Anything you don’t want to be made public, you can send via a dm. This includes flirtations with another user, bitching about someone or saying something that others may find offensive. It is considered bad etiquette to make public a dm you receive.
Often, the most meaningful messages are exchanged via dm instead of on public feeds, as you are less on guard and can be your true self. When this happens, you can say that it is down in the dm or it goes down in the dm.
The term dm is used across social media, and in texting and chat, to refer to a direct, private message either sent or received, or to ask someone to dm you.
y’all I love when girls talk about my boyfriend and they’re like “ya he use to dm me” or whatever .. LIKE OK? HE MINE NOW BITCH!
Wtf are “nudes”? Someone dm me & educate me. I’m a visual learner btw.
like for a tbh in yo dm. bc bored😴
Forget six degrees of Kevin Bacon. We’re three degrees and a DM of twitter separation.
Your “for your eyes only” nudes are so hot I almost wish they weren’t the same ones I saw shared in several DM rooms last month.
This definition of the slang term dm has its origins in the direct message feature on Twitter.
Initially, direct messages on Twitter could only be sent between users who both followed each other. This has since expanded and now you can send a dm to anyone who follows you or to anyone who has previously sent you a direct message, whether you follow them or not. You can also opt in to receive direct messages from anyone.
Usage of the term dm really started to take off in 2008 as Twitter’s popularity soared.
Other social media, most notably Instagram and Snapchat, have since followed Twitter’s lead and use the term direct message on their apps to refer to a private exchange between users.
The American rapper Yo Gotti released “Down In The DM” on October 27, 2015, as the lead single from his studio album, The Art Of Hustle (2016).
Other meanings for the abbreviation DM include:
1. In the role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons, the Dungeon Master (DM) is the game organizer in charge of creating the details and challenges of a given adventure.
2. Deathmatch is a widely used gameplay mode integrated into many video games. Normally the goal of a deathmatch game is to kill as many other players as possible.
3. A Designated Marksman is military marksman in an infantry squad, whose role is to supply rapid accurate fire on enemy targets at ranges up to a maximum of 1,100 yards (1,000 meters).
4. dm-drogerie markt is a chain of retail stores headquartered in Germany that sells cosmetics, healthcare items, household products and health food.
5. Direct marketing is a form of advertising which allows businesses and nonprofit organizations to communicate directly to customers through a variety of media including cell phone text messaging, email, websites, online adverts, database marketing, fliers, catalog distribution, promotional letters and targeted television, newspaper and magazine advertisements as well as outdoor advertising.
6. Doctor of Medicine is an academic medical degree.
7. The Deutsche Mark was the official currency of Germany until the adoption of the euro in 2002.
8. Decimeter is a unit of length, equal to one tenth of a meter or 10 centimeters.
9. Diabetes Mellitus, commonly known as diabetes, is a disease characterized by high blood sugar levels.
10. Defensive Midfielder is a position in soccer, which involves a midfield player focusing on protecting his or her own goal.